2. Alabama fan guilty of post-BCS championship game assault sentenced to two years in prison. Judge calls Brian Downing a “bully.”
3. Does Les Miles prefer the Cotton Bowl for LSU?
4. ESPN’s Ted Miller on Mississippi State: “The Bulldogs, bless their hearts, aren’t very good.”
5. Vegas odds have Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel as a heavy favorite to win the Heisman.
6. Manzeil on Florida’s defense: “Florida’s defense this year is definitely one of the top defenses we played — without a doubt,” Manziel said. “They’re extremely quick.”
7. University of Florida police officer exonerated in the case of a missing police report involving a player.
8. Georgia receiver Michael Bennett on recovering from a knee injury that ended his season: “I feel like I’m really far along.”
10. What advice would Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops give to his brother – new Kentucky coach Mark Stoops? ”Trust your instincts,” the OU head coach said. “When you get one of those positions, everybody wants to tell you what to do.”
11. Kentucky quarterback Jalen Whitlow on Stoops: “My high school teammate (who plays at Florida State) said that he loves him and all the guys love him and that he is a good guy and good coach.”
12. Priority for next Tennessee coach – defensive speed.
13. “The whole Gruden thing has even taken on its own hash-tag. Now it is ‘Grumors’ on Twitter.”
14. What three schools have experienced the least turnover at football coach in the SEC since 1981? Two of the three are currently looking.
15. SEC schools aren’t the only ones looking for new coaches. Here’s a breakdown of top major-college openings and potential candidates.
16. 41 African-American head coaches hired in the FBS since 1979.
17. The Associated Press says Les Miles’ salary at LSU will now be in the range of $4.3 million a year.
18. Scott Rabalais: “The NFL has never been the siren song for Miles that it was for Nick Saban.”
19. New York Times: About 1-in-10 schools replace a coach each year. Study suggests new coach often doesn’t make them better - frequently makes them worse.
SEC Championship Game
20. Alabama freshman wide receiver Chris Black hasn’t played all season. But indications are he will on Saturday - and lose his redshirt in the process.
21. Nick Saban on the decision: ”It’s a tough decision, and you never know it’s the right decision, because you never know what’s going to happen five years from now.”
22. Georgia is riding the hot hand of quarterback Aaron Murray - 14 touchdowns, zero interceptions and an almost 70% completion rate in his last 113 passes.
23. This game will put the spotlight on Murray and Alabama’s AJ McCarron – the top-ranked passing efficiency quarterbacks in college football.
24. Why has Georgia (155 points) outscored Alabama (51 points) by such a large margin in the third quarter? Mark Richt says it’s because of a coin-toss preference.
25. Ron Higgins: “Mark Richt might be the best football coach in SEC history that has spent the most time on the hotseat.”
26. Dennis Dodd: Georgia needs to rebuild its good name. 7-14 against ranked teams since Jan 1, 2008.
27. This prediction has the Bulldogs pulling the upset.
28. It’s a busy week for Georgia linebacker Jarvis Jones. Could a big game against Alabama get him an invitation to the Heisman ceremony?
29. ACC championship game tickets going for less than five bucks. More than 80 times that for the SEC game.
30. Jeremy Fowler on Florida State: ”Make no mistake, the Seminoles are scanning the landscape and don’t want to get left on a sinking ship if others defect from the ACC.”
31. Mike Bianchi: (ACC Commissioner John) “Swofford and his ACC colleagues have absolutely no vision when it comes to the future of their football league.”
32. Mark Bradley: “With the Big East in tatters, the Big Six of BCS leagues has been reduced to five.”
33. John Feinstein: “For all intents and purposes, the Big East no longer exists.”
34. With certain conferences in disarray – like the Big East – more chatter about the idea of a basketball-only league.
35. John Clay on what Louisville to the ACC means for the Bluegrass State: “(Kentucky) should benefit from an infusion of ACC basketball. Tobacco Road meets Friends of Coal.”
36. John Calipari says he expects to be at Kentucky “probably another six years, maybe seven.”
37. Kentucky point guard Ryan Harrow has returned from a mystery illness. Will he play tonight against Notre Dame? “I may throw him in the Notre Dame game just to see where he is.”
39. Two-sport star Bruce Ellington has impressed new South Carolina coach Frank Martin by learning his system: “(H)e understood it a little bit better than some of the guys that have been out there every single day for two months.”
40. LSU sophomore guard Anthony Hicks expected to be back in starting lineup for the Tigers tonight against Seton Hall.
41. Big test for Arkansas Friday night – undefeated Syracuse comes to Fayetteville.
42. Undefeated Ole Miss will face its first big challenge this Saturday against Rutgers. Forward Jason Carter remains suspended for the Rebels.
43. If Mississippi State wants to improve, has to get better in the assist-to-turnover ratio. Currently ranked 337th out of 345 teams nationally.
44. Five SEC teams are currently ranked outside of the top 200 in RPI.